Tuesday, April 15, 2008

On the Drying Rack: April 15, 2008

Two new collaged pop art pieces are on the drying rack. I have found a nice median with my battle of original art and prints. Last September, I decided to offer prints of my work. I had a ton of prints made. They sold on and off throughout the remainder of the year. But, there was still something missing. It was the hands-on feeling of creating new pieces. The prints are nice, but I wanted to feel glue and paint on my hands, not printer ink.

My original paintings and drawings are more expensive than my prints, of course. So, it was a little harder to sell originals. But, I love creating new pieces with paint, pencil, glue, anything that is tangible.

Where did this put me? I, by chance, saw these mini canvases at JoAnn, while looking for some fabric. I didn't buy any fabric, but I bought the canvases. When I got home, I saw the boxes of unused prints. Well, being the Green type, I had to do something with all of these prints. There colors are vibrant and really shouldn't be hiding in a box.

My first college was made with a print of Lost Message. I was very happy with the outcome. But, most importantly, I was getting that touch and feel; a feeling I was missing with prints. As far as my prints, I've decided to still offer them. But, I am in the process of moving them to my RedBubble site.

So, much of art is based on all of my senses. The smell of the paint. The feeling of the glue. The sound of paper ripping. The vision of colors. And, the taste of paint when I accidentally put my paintbrush in my coffee cup instead of the paint cup.

No comments: