Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Painting a Day: The Conclusion

Phew. What do I say about Painting-A-Day?
During the month of September, I attempted to do a small painting everyday. There were high-lights and low-lights. Here are some of the lessons learned.

1. Make sure you have enough MATERIALS!
I ran out of illustration board around the second week. So, I ended up falling a few days behind.

2. Oh boy are weekends hard.
I think that one is pretty self explanatory.

3. You will become more aware of your chosen subject matter.
I think during the month of September, I noticed every single leaf, stem, and blade of grass while out and about. I began to notice little things; the way leaves curve, how petals are attached. That being said....

4. You'll likely burn out on your chosen subject matter.
As much as I love drawing natural items, doing it everyday does become repetitive. I mean, after day 15....



5. At least you come away with 30 new illustrations.
Which are a lot of new pieces.

Overall, it was a good experience. I'm more aware of the energy and dedication (and materials) it takes to churn out a completed piece of art 30 days straight. You should give it a try (maybe during the month with the fewest days).

No comments: