Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Taking a little break to re-energize

Narrator: Tabitha of The Pairabirds



I haven't blogged in a while. I'm taking a small half sabbatical, half working break. I was beginning to become cynical (more so than usual) about art and design (won't go into details). When that happens, that means it's time for me to step away from the computer.



I am working on some new illustrations and ideas. I have also been examining new places to display and sell my art. With these fresh ideas, places, and spaces, that cynical little voice in my head can quiet a little.



I am still posting, somewhat frequently on my DeviantArt page. Chances are you will see some of my ideas there first (before my blog and Flickr site).



If you're feeling somewhat disillusioned, uninspired or negative about your art, here are a few things you can do that may help you get your motivation back.


  • Look at your older work. I have hundreds of old drawings and sketches. I flip through these sometimes to see how much I've grown. It helps to boost my confidence about my current work. And, give me a few laughs ("man, what was I thinking? That arm is not at all proportional to that hand.").

  • Step away from your recent work. I mean, once you finish a piece, walk away. Start something new.

  • Go for a walk. The weather around here limits how much outdoor walking I can do. But, when the clouds break, get out of the house/studio. Just walk. It clears your mind.

  • Flip through your favorite magazines/books/catalogue. I love West Elm and cling to every catalogue I receive from them. Nothing gets my creative juices flowing like contemporary interior design (I try to imagine my work in those houses).

So, walk away. It does a world of good.

No comments: